McCormick in McCormick County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Welcome to Baker Creek State Park
Baker Creek State Park is managed as a Regional Park property because this core constituency is from the local region. Located in the heart of Sumter National Forest near McCormick, South Carolina, on the shores of Strom Thurmond Lake, this 1,305-acre park is popular with campers, day-users and fisherman. The park is situated in a heavily wooded area with rolling hills very indicative of the Piedmont of South Carolina. The park was built in 1968 to provide recreation access to the 70,000 acre Corps of Engineers Lake Thurmond (2nd largest lake in South Carolina and one of the largest freshwater lakes in the Southeast). Popular activities include all water-based recreation and multi-use trails for hiking or mountain biking.
South Carolina State Park Service Mission
To encourage people to discover South Carolina's state parks by providing resource-based recreational and educational opportunities that emphasize the conservation, protection and interpretation of the state's natural and cultural resources.
Baker Creek State Park Mission Statement
To provide outdoor recreational opportunities
Erected by South Carolina State Park Service.
Location. 33° 53′ N, 82° 21.517′ W. Marker is in McCormick, South Carolina, in McCormick County. Marker is on Barker Creek Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 482 Barker Creek Road, Mc Cormick SC 29835, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Edmunds Family History / Samuel Calhoun Edmunds (approx. 1.4 miles away); General Elijah Clark (approx. 3.2 miles away in Georgia); Dooly Spring (approx. 3.3 miles away in Georgia); New Bordeaux Worship Site (approx. 3½ miles away); Badwell / Badwell Cemetery (approx. 3.6 miles away); Dorn’s Mill / Dorn Gold Mine (was approx. 4.1 miles away but has been reported missing. ); New Bordeaux (1764) (approx. 4.1 miles away); McCormick County Confederate Monument (approx. 4.1 miles away); Tory Pond (approx. 4.1 miles away in Georgia); McCormick County Veterans Monument (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McCormick.
Regarding Welcome to Baker Creek State Park.
Also see . . .
1. About This Park - Baker Creek State Park. Baker Creek State Park, located on the shores of Lake Thurmond, is the ideal location for a lengthy camping trip or a relaxing swim. (Submitted on April 14, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Baker Creek State Park. Baker Creek State Park is located adjacent to Lake Thurmond, near the town of McCormick in the county of McCormick, South Carolina. (Submitted on April 14, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Sumter National Forest. The Sumter National Forest is one of two forests in South Carolina that are managed together by the United States Forest Service, the other being the Francis Marion National Forest. (Submitted on April 14, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. US Army Corps of Engineers, Savannah District - J. Strom Thurmond Dam and Lake. Thurmond Lake is one of the southeast's largest and most popular public recreation lakes. (Submitted on April 14, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
5. Lake Strom Thurmond. Lake Strom Thurmond, known in Georgia as Clarks Hill Lake, is a reservoir at the border between Georgia and South Carolina in the Savannah River Basin. (Submitted on April 14, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Environment • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Welcome to Baker Creek State Park.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 14, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 682 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16. submitted on April 14, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.