Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Richmond Slave Trail
David Brion Davis, Sterling Professor of History Emeritus, Yale University, and pre-eminent scholar of slavery and abolition.
Until this point on the trail, the accounts cited and stories told have focused on the brutal experiences of enslaved Africans exported as human cargo to foreign lands. Later accounts recite the noble courage and steely resilience of enslaved Africans in the United States who fought for their freedom in such episodes as the Creole Revolt. Features still visible in the city’s landscape recall memories of misery and coercion, but also serve as reminders of strength and devotion. The stories told along the trail as it follows the south and north sides of the river reveal the darkest shadows and the noblest aspirations of the human spirit.
Ahead, various markers along the trail describe the lives of enslaved
The Reconciliation Statue, an international commemoration of one of the many Transatlantic routes in the Triangular Trade of Enslaved Africans, stands in recognition of Virginia’s role in the unimaginable plight of Africans who were sold into lifelong bondage. Nearby, Robert Lumpkin’s infamous slave trading jail — the Devil’s Half Acre — has been excavated and studied by archaeologists so that people can learn about the often lucrative and dangerous domestic slave trade.
Please, walk upon this trail. Continue this journey and accept the history revealed, for
About the Trail
Designed as a walking path, the Richmond Slave Trail chronicles the history of the trade in enslaved Africans from their homeland to Virginia until 1778, and away from Virginia, especially Richmond, to other locations in the Americas until 1865. The trail begins at the Manchester Docks, which, alongside Rocketts Landing on the north side of the river, operated as a major port in the massive downriver slave trade, making Richmond the largest source of enslaved blacks on the east coast of America from 1830 to 1860. While many of the slaves were shipped on to New Orleans and to other Deep South ports, the trail follows the footsteps of those who remained here and crossed the James River, often chained together in a coffle. Once reaching the northern riverbank, the trail then follows a route through the slave markets and auction houses of Richmond, beside the Reconciliation Statue commemorating the international triangular slave trade and on to the site of the notorious Lumpkin’s Slave Jail and leading on to Richmond’s African Burial Ground, once called the Burial Ground for Negroes, and the First African Baptist Church, a center of African American life in pre-Civil War Richmond. - Richmond Slave Trail Commission – 2011 –
Title image: “After
Erected 2011 by Richmond Slave Trail Commission. (Marker Number 8.)
Location. 37° 31.622′ N, 77° 26.114′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker can be reached from Hull Street (U.S. 360) north of Manchester Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond VA 23224, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Manchester Canal (within shouting distance of this marker); Mayo's Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Manchester Lodge No. 14 (approx. ¼ mile away); Slavery Challenged (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pipeline Trail (approx. 0.4 miles away); Heron Rookery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Kanawha Canal (approx. 0.4 miles away); Early Shockoe (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Also see . . . Richmond City Council Slave Trail Commission. (Submitted on April 21, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • African Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 21, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 484 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 21, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.