Neosho in Newton County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The presence of large deposits of limestone and running water make Big Spring Park an ideal location for caves such as Stairstep Cave. However, there is another cave that lives in the memories of the elders of Neosho.
In 1946 J.W. Abbott left his estate to the City of Neosho for the "Abbott Brothers Big Spring Park Fund." He suggested "clearing out and opening up the cave in the bluff at the south side of the park."
This cave was used by both sides during the Civil War. Union soldiers blasted the entrance of the cave. Confederate soldiers and supplies may have been in it at the time.
When the cave was reopened in 1894 two boys got lost for more than a day. Rescue attempts were made. But the searchers were also getting lost. The townspeople decided to bring all the string they could find to the park. They found the boys at the back of the cave. It was decided after that incident to close the cave in a "permanent manner."
The City of Neosho began searching for the cave in 1995.
Location. 36° 52.138′ N, 94° 22.324′ W. Marker is in Neosho, Missouri, in Newton County. Marker can be reached from Spring Street near Spring Hill Street. Touch for map. Marker is in Big Spring Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 308 West Spring Street, Neosho MO 64850, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Rocketdyne (within shouting distance of this marker); Founding of Neosho (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Thomas Hart Benton (about 400 feet away); George Washington Carver (about 400 feet away); Herman Jaeger (about 400 feet away); James S. Scott (about 400 feet away); Downtown Neosho Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Heaton Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Neosho.
Also see . . . History of Neosho. (Submitted on June 1, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Environment • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 1, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,099 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 1, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.