Marion in Smyth County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
1861 CSA 1865
[Image of a version of the great seal of the Commonwealth of Virginia]
Glory sits beside our grief.
Lest We Forget
[Image of battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia]
To the Defenders of State Sovereignty.
Faithful unto death.
Location. 36° 49.977′ N, 81° 31.192′ W. Marker is in Marion, Virginia, in Smyth County. Marker is on Main Street west of Church Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located in front of the Smyth County courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Marion VA 24354, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Marion (within shouting distance of this marker); Smyth County Revolutionary War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Smyth County War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Col. William Elisha Peters Col. Arthur Campbell (approx. 1.3 miles away); Site of Colonial Home (approx. 1.3 miles away); Royal Oak Presbyterian Church (approx. 1˝ miles away); Sherwood Anderson (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marion.
1. Description of monument.
Full-length figure of a Confederate soldier. He stands at parade rest. He wears a field uniform with a slouch hat. He holds a gun with both hands; the butt of the gun rests on the ground. A canteen hangs from his proper left belt and a blanket is slung over his proper left shoulder and tied at his proper right waist. A bayonet hangs beside his canteen and a haversack rests at mid-back. His proper right leg leans against a tree stump. The figure stands atop a limestone pedestal which rests on four rough-hewn steps. The seal of the state of Virginia is carved in bas-relief on the front of the pedestal; on the back is a bas-relief of the Battle Flag. The monument cost $1,100.
From the Smithsonian American Art Museum
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 23, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 481 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 23, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.