Concordia in Lafayette County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Wilk School Bell
This bell originally hung in the tower of Wilk School, which stood at this location and was named after the school's first teacher, Mr. W. Wilk. Built in 1887 by St. Paul's Lutheran Congregation, Wilk School was primarily for upper grade students who had completed the lower six grades offered at the congregation's satellite schools in rural Concordia. When the congregation erected a larger school - the brick school built in 1921 also at this 407 South Main Street location - Wilk School was taken down and its bell stored in a basement recess of the newer school. The bell was removed from storage and moved to this historical site in 2009.
Erected 2009 by St. Paul's Lutheran Grade School.
Location. 38° 59.092′ N, 93° 34.071′ W. Marker is in Concordia, Missouri, in Lafayette County. Marker is on Main Street (Missouri Route 23) near SW 5th Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 407 South Main Street, Concordia MO 64020, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Veterans War Memorial (about 700 feet away, Massacre Site / Concordia (about 700 feet away); Missouri Pacific Caboose (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lions Club Clock Tower (approx. 0.2 miles away); Concordia Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Paul's College (approx. 0.2 miles away); Replica of the Statue of Liberty (approx. 0.2 miles away); Civil War Casualties (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Concordia.
Also see . . .
1. St. Paul's Lutheran School. (Submitted on June 30, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Concordia, Missouri. (Submitted on June 30, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education •
More. Search the internet for Wilk School Bell.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 30, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 365 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 30, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.