Metamora Grist Mill
Over the next several years the mill was operated by various owners and was known first as Hoosier Mills and later as Crescent Mills. The original mill was destroyed by a fire in 1899 and was rebuilt in 1900. Following a second fire in 1932, it was converted to the present two-story brick building.
In 1946, the State of Indiana purchased a 14-mile section of the Whitewater Canal, including the mill, as a state historic site.
Today the mill grinds both white and yellow corn into corn meal and grits, and wheat into whole wheat flour and cereal. The millstones are powered by the 12-foot breast water wheel in the canal behind the mill.
Location. 39° 26.811′ N, 85° 8.186′ W. Marker is in Metamora, Indiana, in Franklin County. Marker is on Main Street (a.k.a. Pennington Road) west of Banes Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located in South side of Metamora. You will enter town on Columbia Street - cross over bridge. Turn right and follow canal to mill - a few short blocks
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ben Franklin III (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Canal Front Dry Goods Store (about 400 feet away); Jenks and Martindale Grocery (about 700 feet away); Metamora Masonic Lodge (about 700 feet away); Van Camp's Store (about 800 feet away); Martindale Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Metamora Christian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Whitewater Canal State Historic Site (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Metamora.
Also see . . . History of Metamora Grist Mill ::. This link has many enjoyable items about Metamora (Canal Town), Indiana. (Submitted on July 23, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 23, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 441 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 23, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.