Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
DeLand in Volusia County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Woman's Club of DeLand

Established 1906

 
 
The Woman's Club of DeLand Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
1. The Woman's Club of DeLand Marker
Inscription. The Woman's Club of DeLand was organized in March 1906, and was incorporated on July 26 of that year with ninety-two charter members. Nearly from its inception club members wanted to have their own clubhouse. The organization purchased a lot on West Michigan Avenue in 1925. A clubhouse was constructed and dedicated on January 21, 1929. Through the years, the club has supported a multitude of community needs, the first of which was attaining legislation requiring cattle to be fenced. The Woman's Club of DeLand was instrumental in the forming of the Junior Woman's Club of DeLand, the Garden Club of DeLand and the Twentieth Century Club, all of which began as departments of the club. Now over a hundred years old, the Woman's Club of DeLand personifies its motto: "The secret of success is constancy to purpose."
 
Erected by the West Volusia Historical Society.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Florida, West Volusia Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 29° 2′ N, 81° 18.277′ W. Marker is in DeLand, Florida, in Volusia County. Marker is on West Michigan Avenue west of North Woodland Boulevard (U.S. 17/92), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker is mounted
The Woman's Club of DeLand Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
2. The Woman's Club of DeLand Marker
Seen to the right of the doors
on the Woman's Club building, under the front portico, to the right of the doors. Marker is at or near this postal address: 128 West Michigan Avenue, Deland FL 32720, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bell #8 (within shouting distance of this marker); DeLand Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Opera House (approx. ¼ mile away); Circa 1885 (approx. ¼ mile away); Early Grocery Stores (approx. ¼ mile away); The First Post Office (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Movie House (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Athens Theatre (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in DeLand.
 
Regarding The Woman's Club of DeLand. The Woman's Club of DeLand donated their clubhouse to the Florida United Methodist Children’s Home on June 10, 2011. The Children’s Home, based in Enterprise, FL, and looking to establish a stronger presence in DeLand, plans to use the building for retreats, training, offices, etc. The Woman's Club will be allowed to still hold meetings and activities there.
 
Also see . . .  Woman’s Club donates historic clubhouse to Children’s Home. article from the West Volusia Beacon (Submitted on August 3, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.) 
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsPoliticsWomen
 
The Woman's Club of DeLand image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
3. The Woman's Club of DeLand
The Woman's Club of DeLand Plaque image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
4. The Woman's Club of DeLand Plaque
The plaque is mounted just above the historical marker.
The Woman's Club of DeLand Plaque image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
5. The Woman's Club of DeLand Plaque
This additional plaque is mounted on the front of the building.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 3, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 526 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 3, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement