Harrodsburg in Mercer County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Early Gun Shop Site / Civil War Armorer
Early Gun Shop Site
Here Benjamin Mills made some of finest rifles in US, ca. 1830-50. His muzzle loaders famous for dual trigger system. Used by Kit Carson and Dr. Christopher Graham, conceded to be best rifle shot in world at that time. Used at The Alamo and on Fremont expeditions. The Boone Shooting Club, of which Graham and Gov. Beriah Magoffin were members, held matches behind this shop. Over.
Civil War Armorer
At raid of Harpers Ferry arsenal by John Brown, 1859, Mills, as armorer, was captured. Rescued next day by Marines under Col. Robert E. Lee. US offered position as chief armorer at Springfield, Mass., if he would stay with the Union. Declined offer, casting his lot with the South. During the war, he worked at Palmetto, South Carolina, arsenal. Over.
Erected 1970 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1335.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 37° 45.516′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrodsburg KY 40330, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harrodsburg Springs (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Osage Orange Tree (approx. ¼ mile away); The Lincoln Marriage Cabin (approx. ¼ mile away); The Lincoln Move to the Frontier (approx. ¼ mile away); Lincoln Marriage Temple (approx. ¼ mile away); Fort Harrod (approx. ¼ mile away); Graham Springs (approx. ¼ mile away); An Early Derby Winner / Another Derby Winner (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrodsburg.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 20, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 559 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 20, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.