St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Santo Domingo Redoubt
Garrison Life in 1808
The Infantry Regiment of Cuba was formed in 1786-1789 as a result of Spanish military reforms introduced in the second half of the 1700s. The Regiment consisted of three battalions. The First and Second Battalions were assigned to Havana and Santiago de Cuba. The Third Battalion was assigned to the Presidio de San Agustín de la Florida, a dependency of Cuba.
In St. Augustine, Spanish infantrymen garrisoned the Castillo de San Marcos, the defensive walls, redoubts, lookout towers, and small forts that protected the Presidio.
Four embrasures pierced the walls of the Santo Domingo Redoubt to accommodate ordnance pieces, typically 4, 6 and 8-pound guns mounted on siege and field carriages. In the absence of field pieces, garrison guns from the Castillo were moved to the redoubt.
Erected by City of St. Augustine.
Location. 29° 53.869′ N, 81° 18.893′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is at the intersection of Orange Street and Cordova Street, on the right when traveling west on Orange Street. Touch for map. Located inside a earthwork reconstruction of Santo Domingo Redoubt. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Santo Domingo Redoubt (a few steps from this marker); The 1886 Old Drugstore (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Santo Domingo Redoubt (a few steps from this marker); The Cubo Line (a few steps from this marker); Los Floridanos (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Santo Domingo Redoubt (within shouting distance of this marker); Fuente de los Caños de San Francisco (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Augustine Civic Center (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 18, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 29, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 539 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 29, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.