Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Public Burying Ground

 
 
Public Burying Ground Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
1. Public Burying Ground Marker
Inscription. During the yellow fever epidemic of 1821, this half-acre plot was set aside as a public cemetery. Many Protestant pioneers to the new Florida Territory are buried here. Often such burials, made at public expense, went unmarked.

The Presbyterian Church has owned and maintained the cemetery since 1832. Interments were discontinued in 1884.
 
Erected 1964 by St. Johns County Historical Commission. (Marker Number F-117.)
 
Location. 29° 53.899′ N, 81° 18.835′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is on North Ocean Boulevard (State Road A1A), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Huguenot Cemetery (a few steps from this marker); Old Spanish Trail Zero Milestone (within shouting distance of this marker); Fuente de los Caños de San Francisco (within shouting distance of this marker); Los Floridanos (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Cubo Line (about 300 feet away); Santo Domingo Redoubt
Public Burying Ground Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
2. Public Burying Ground Marker
(about 400 feet away); The Salcedo House (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Santo Domingo Redoubt (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites
 
Cemetery Today image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
3. Cemetery Today
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 31, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 381 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 31, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement