Philadelphia in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Germantown White House
—Independence Nat’l Hist Park —
President George Washington lived here in the Deshler-Morris House twice. He came here first seeking refuge from the yellow fever epidemic of 1793. The “pure and healthy air” of the rural village of Germantown, six miles from Philadelphia, was safe from the disease. More than 4,000 Philadelphians died as the disease ravaged the national capital. Thousands of residents left the city for the comparatively disease-free countryside. The following summer Washington returned with his family, who had now joined him in Philadelphia. This house thus became the first of many summer presidential retreats. Here the elder Washingtons relaxed with their grandchildren, Eleanor Parke Custis and George Washington Parke Custis, and enjoyed the pleasures of family life. The household was served by enslaved persons and servants, both hired and indentured.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 40° 2.035′ N, 75° 10.328′ W. Marker is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia County. Marker is on Germantown Avenue, on Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5442 Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia PA 19144, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named The Germantown White House (a few steps from this marker); Soldiers Monument at Germantown (within shouting distance of this marker); Reformed Church of Germantown (within shouting distance of this marker); Market Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Louisa May Alcott (within shouting distance of this marker); Delplaine House (within shouting distance of this marker); Christopher Saur (approx. 0.2 miles away); Christopher Sower (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philadelphia.
More about this marker. The background of the marker contains a picture of President and Mrs. Washington at home with their grandchildren as a servant looks on. An interior picture of the Germantown White House appears at the lower left of the marker. It contains a caption of “President Washington met with his cabinet here in November 1793 to resolve domestic and foreign crises that threatened the new nation.”
Also see . . . Deshler-Morris House. Historic Germantown website. (Submitted on September 5, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on September 5, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 406 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 5, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 6, 7, 8. submitted on October 4, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 9. submitted on December 11, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.