In The Early Days
In 1932, as part of a nation-wide movement to honor his 200th birthday, the square was named George Washington Memorial Park. The American Legion planted trees and grass. From 1953 to 1969, the Rotary Club built elk antler arches on each corner of the square.
Presently, in May of each year an antler auction is held in the square. Revenue from the auction is used for the winter feeding program at the National Elk Refuge. In exchange for collecting hundreds of shed antlers each spring, the Boy Scouts of American receives part of the proceeds to fund its local program.
Location. 43° 28.799′ N, 110° 45.682′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Wyoming, in Teton County. Marker is on Center Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the East side of the Town Square. Marker is in this post office area: Jackson WY 83001, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Elk Antler Arches (within shouting distance of this marker); Teton County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Jackson State Bank (within shouting distance
Categories. • Charity & Public Work •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 12, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 353 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 12, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.