Marshfield in Wood County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Marshﬁeld's City Hall Clock and Fire Bell
This 1,982 pound bell tolled the hours, served as community fire alarm and summoned volunteer firemen to meetings for more than four decades. The clock mechanism failed during World War II and the bell was retired from fire service in 1949. It was removed from its aging tower as a safety measure.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 44° 39.09′ N, 90° 11.082′ W. Marker was in Marshfield, Wisconsin, in Wood County. Marker was at the intersection of South Central Avenue and West 17th Street, on the right when traveling south on South Central Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in Wildwood Park. Marker was at or near this postal address: 1800 South Central Avenue, Marshfield WI 54449, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Engine 2442 (within shouting distance of this marker); World's Largest Round Barn (approx. half a mile away); Veterans Memorial (approx. ¾ mile away); September 11th Patriots Day (approx. Governor William H. Upham House (approx. one mile away); Marshfield Post Office (approx. 1.1 miles away); Tower Hall (approx. 1.1 miles away); Eli Winch House (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marshfield.
Also see . . . Marshfield's City Hall. "Originally built in 1901 as Marshfield ’s City Hall (currently known as Tower Hall), this building included a library and engine house for fire fighting equipment. A fire bell and clock was located in the West tower. This building also housed all other city operations and the Police department. Constructed of locally kilned Marshfield brick, this structure exhibits predominantly Romanesque features." (Submitted on January 15, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Communications •
More. Search the internet for Marshfield's City Hall Clock and Fire Bell.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 14, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,743 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 14, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.