Marshfield in Wood County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Governor William H. Upham House
placed on the
by the United States
Department of the Interior
December 12, 1976
William H. Upham
This Victorian mansion was built in 1880 for William H. Upham. The house survived the fire of 1887 making it one of the oldest homes in Marshfield.
A survivor of the prison camps during the Civil War, Upham was nominated by President Lincoln's cabinet as an at large appointee to West Point Academy. Upham owned and operated 17 businesses and served as Governor of Wisconsin from 1895-1897.
Location. 44° 39.933′ N, 90° 10.653′ W. Marker is in Marshfield, Wisconsin, in Wood County. Marker is at the intersection of West Third Street and South Walnut Avenue, on the right when traveling east on West Third Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 212 W. 3rd Street, Marshfield WI 54449, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Marshfield Post Office (about 400 Tower Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Founder’s Square (approx. ¼ mile away); Youth Baseball Donor Recognition Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); September 11th Patriots Day (approx. ¼ mile away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Columbia Park Band Shell (approx. 0.3 miles away); Eli Winch House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marshfield.
Also see . . . Upham Mansion. North Wood Historical Society (Submitted on October 10, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Governor William H. Upham House.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 10, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 352 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 10, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. 6. submitted on August 18, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.