Oxford in Newton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Church - 1841
1932 – 1936 - Recognized as a historic landmark by DAR
1949 - Final session of Annual Conference held in Old Church
1972 - Oxford designated historic Heritage Landmark of the United Methodist Church
1974 -Oxford Historical Shrine Society, Inc., assumed responsibility of property, located on City land
1975 - Oxford District listed on National Register of Historic Places
1966 -- 1999 - Closed for major restoration
June 18, 2000 - Rededication Service
Erected 2000 by Newton County Historical Society Landmark Committee. (Marker Number 19.)
Location. 33° 37.483′ N, 83° 52.267′ W. Marker is in Oxford, Georgia, in Newton County. Marker is at the intersection of Wesley Street and Fletcher Street, on the left when traveling north on Wesley Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oxford GA 30054, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Kitty's Cottage (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Oxford Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Town of Oxford, Georgia Historic Shrine of the United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Town of Oxford and Emory College (approx. 0.3 miles away); Garrard’s Cavalry Raid (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Stoneman Raid (approx. 1.7 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oxford.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 19, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 459 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 19, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.