Cuthbert in Randolph County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Frederick Davis Patterson, M.D. / Patterson Hospital
Frederick Davis Patterson, M.D.
April 16, 1867 – Dec.31, 1930
Dr. Fred Patterson was born in Stewart Co., Ga., attended South Georgia Agriculture College, Cuthbert, graduated Vanderbilt University School of Medicine 1890. He practiced in Lumpkin four years before moving to Cuthbert in 1894. Here he used his extraordinary medical abilities and human concern to bandage skinned knees or perform difficult surgical procedures with anesthetist Dr. Francis Martin, of Shellman. He held offices in and was honored by The American Medical Association, The Medical Association of Georgia and The Second District Medical Society which he organized. Side 2:
On this site, in this house, Dr. Frederic Patterson established the first hospital in this section of Georgia, January, 1916. It contained an operating room and four beds for inpatients. Joined by his nephew, Dr. J.C. Patterson, they moved the hospital to the Rumph House October 1919. They later bought the old two-story schoolhouse and moved the hospital there December, 1925. Fire destroyed this building on the night of February 19, 1946. Dr. J.C. Patterson returned to the Rumph House and began construction on the present hospital which opened on July 1, 1947.
Location. 31° 46.352′ N, 84° 47.393′ W. Marker is in Cuthbert, Georgia, in Randolph County. Marker is on Pine Street 0 miles west of Court Street (Business U.S. 27), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 Pine Street, Cuthbert GA 39840, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The City of Cuthbert and Early Randolph County (within shouting distance of this marker); The Second Creek War in Randolph County (within shouting distance of this marker); Randolph County (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Carnegie Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of First Randolph County Courthouse (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Randolph County Confederate Monument (about 500 feet away); Andrew Female College (about 500 feet away); Mother of Georgia's Pecan Industry (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cuthbert.
Categories. • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 21, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 771 times since then and 43 times this year. Last updated on October 23, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 21, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.