St. Ann’s Pioneer Schoolhouse
St. Ann’s schoolhouse was purchased by Bishop Demers for the four sisters of the order of St. Ann who came from Quebec in June, 1858, to teach in Victoria. It is believed to be the oldest building in Victoria which is still in use, possibly built between 1843 and 1853. It was moved to its present site from the grounds of St. Ann’s Academy in 1974.
Anncienne Ecole Sainte-Anne
En juin, 1858 l’Ecole Sainte-Anne a été achetée par Mgr. Demers pour les quatre religieuses arrivées du Québec pour enseigner à Victoria. Construite entre les années 1843 and 1853 cette école a été transportée de l’Académie Staite-Anne à cet endroit-ci en 1974. On croit que l’Ecole est l’édifice le plus ancien de notre ville encore ouverte au publique.
Location. 48° 25.16′ N, 123° 22.021′ W. Marker is in Victoria, British Columbia, in Capital Regional District. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Douglas Street and Belleville Street. Touch for map. St. Ann's Pioneer School is located in Thunderbird Park, near the Royal British Columbia Museum. Marker is in this post office area: Victoria, British Columbia V8W, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Sisters of St. Ann (a few steps from this marker); St. Ann’s Schoolhouse
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 27, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 555 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 27, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.