Covington in Newton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Confederate Dead & Hospitals
In 1862, 1863, 1864, the Hill, Hood, Lumpkin, and Receiving Hospitals were located in Covington. Thirty new hospital buildings, not yet occupied, were destroyed in Garrard’s Raid, July 22- 24, 1864, as was other valuable hospital equipment. Hospitals were under the immediate supervision of Samuel H. Stout, Medical Director Confederate Army of Tennessee. More than 20,000 Confederates were treated in them.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 107-6.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 35.568′ N, 83° 51.36′ W. Marker is in Covington, Georgia, in Newton County. Marker is on Unnamed Cemetery Road 0 miles south of Davis Street, on the left. Touch for map. The marker is on an unnamed one-way road in the Covington City Cemetery, entered from the south end of Davis Street (south of Conyers Street). Marker is in this post office area: Covington GA 30014, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within City Hall (approx. ¼ mile away); Covington City School (approx. ¼ mile away); The Female College (approx. ¼ mile away); Lucius Q. C. Lamar (approx. 0.3 miles away); To The Confederate Dead of Newton County (approx. 0.3 miles away); Covington Square (approx. 0.3 miles away); Newton County War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Capture of Covington (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Covington.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 13, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 634 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 13, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.