Macon in Bibb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Public Camellia Show
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 011-11.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 50.168′ N, 83° 37.622′ W. Marker is in Macon, Georgia, in Bibb County. Marker is on 3rd Street 0 miles north of Cherry Street, in the median. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Macon GA 31201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Post 3 Macon (a few steps from this marker); William Arthur Fickling, Sr. Wilson's Raid To Macon (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Macon City Hall (about 500 feet away); Freemasonry in Macon (about 500 feet away); Jefferson Davis at the Lanier House (about 500 feet away); Macon History (about 500 feet away); Civil War Era Maconites of African Ancestry (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Macon.
Also see . . . History of the Camellia Society of Sacramento. Although the marker makes claim to the first public Camellia Show in the US, the website of the Camellia Society of Sacramento indicates earlier public Camellia shows: The first camellia show was held in April 1924, in the David Lubin School, headed by Mrs. Charles Gilmore, Chairman. After three shows, with increasing interest from year to year, the Sacramento Garden Club was formed and each year the conducted the Annual Camellia Show. For many years, from 1931 to 1944, the chairman was Mrs. H. Pisani, who developed many of the programs that included a census of camellia plants in Sacramento, (Submitted on January 15, 2015.)
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 19, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 535 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 19, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 4. submitted on November 30, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.