Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Railroad Street Commerce
Anchored in one end by two depots –- Georgia RR brick depot (1840, burned 1864; rebuilt) and Central of GA RR frame depot (c. 1901-09) -- and at the other end by the town square, Railroad Street (W. Jefferson) rose quickly as a commercial corridor, lined with storefronts, lodging houses, saloons, warehouses and workshops, all supported by “King Cotton.” For nearly 100 years, this corridor remained vibrant and vital, its importance reinforced by civic improvements, as in 1883 when the City was praised for “… macadamizing and grading Railroad Street … the most traveled street,” and also in 1891 with the installation of a “Whiteway,” using decorative iron and glass globe
Erected 2011 by City of Madison, Madison BiCentennial Commission 1809-2009.
Location. 33° 35.817′ N, 83° 28.1′ W. Marker is in Madison, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is at the intersection of West Jefferson Street and North 2nd Street, on the right when traveling north on West Jefferson Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Madison GA 30650, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Town Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lodging Establishments (about 300 feet away); Freedom of Assembly (about 300 feet away); Madison (about 500 feet away); Industrial Corridor (about 500 feet away); The Town Square (about 600 feet away); Civic Advancement (about 600 feet away); Reconstruction Property Rights (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
More. Search the internet for Railroad Street Commerce.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 19, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 296 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 19, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.