Oakland in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
St. Augustine's Episcopal Church
Oakland Landmark Number 29
In 1975 Trinity merged with St. Augustine's Episcopal Church which was located nearby at 27th and West Streets. St. Augustine's had been founded in 1910 as an African-American congregation. The combined parishes brought the name of St. Augustine to the church building formerly known as Trinity. More significantly, the merger brought together two congregations that had been worlds apart racially, politically, socially, and culturally. The united congregation continues its active ministry in the community today.
St. Augustines became an Oakland City Landmark on December 4, 1979 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on February 4, 1982.
Location. 37° 49.088′ N, 122° 16.057′ W. Marker is in Oakland, California, in Alameda County. Marker is at the intersection of 29th Street and Telegraph Avenue, on the right when traveling south on 29th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 525 29th Street, Oakland CA 94609, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Saint Mary's College (approx. 0.4 miles away); Paramount Theatre (approx. 0.6 miles away); El Camino Rancho San Antonio (approx. 0.6 miles away); Latham Memorial Fountain Unveiled (approx. 0.9 miles away); 1946 General Strike (approx. 0.9 miles away); Oakland City Hall (approx. 0.9 miles away); Charles S. Greene Library (approx. one mile away); First Unitarian Church of Oakland (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oakland.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 26, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 6, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 792 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 6, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.