Hanover in York County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Digges’ Choice, 1737
However in 1727, Marylander John Digges obtained a warrant for 10,000 acres from Charles Calvert, fourth Lord Baltimore. This grant, Digges' Choice, also covered land that became Hanover. By 1730 settlers were securing land deeds from Digges in and around present day Hanover.
Charters granted to Penn and Lord Baltimore conflicted. This disputed area between the colonies, known as Rogues Roost, became a haven for people avoiding taxes. A temporary line was established between the two colonies in 1739, which became the Mason-Dixon Line in 1768, placing Hanover in Pennsylvania.
In 1745 Richard McAllister, a Scotch Irishman, purchased land from Digges establishing the original town of Hanover.
Location. 39° 48.032′ N, 76° 58.968′ W. Marker is in Hanover, Pennsylvania, in York County. Marker is at the intersection of Broadway and Carlisle St., on the left when traveling south on Broadway. Touch for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Inventions of Hanover (here, next to this marker); 19th Century Industrialization (here, next to this marker); Hanover in the Revolutionary war (here, next to this marker); Richard McAllister (here, next to this marker); Hanover Architecture (here, next to this marker); Culture and Entertainment (here, next to this marker); 20th Century Manufacturing (here, next to this marker); Hanover's Wounded (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hanover.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . . Digges' Choice from rootsweb. (Submitted on January 30, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Events • Notable Persons • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 29, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,635 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 29, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.