Leavenworth in Leavenworth County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The First Bank in Kansas
In this building in 1856 Lucien Scott and John Kerr opened a private bank, Scott, Kerr and Company. In 1874 it was merged with the First National Bank of Leavenworth which had been established in 1868. The First National Bank holds National Charter No. 182. It is the oldest bank in Kansas and is the oldest national bank west of St. Louis.
The First National operated at 4th and Delaware until 1966 when it moved to 7th and Delaware.
Erected 1977 by The First National Bank of Leavenworth and Leavenworth County Historical Society.
Location. 39° 19.108′ N, 94° 54.632′ W. Marker is in Leavenworth, Kansas, in Leavenworth County. Marker is at the intersection of Delaware Street and South 2nd Street, on the right when traveling east on Delaware Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 Delaware Street, Leavenworth KS 66048, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ackenhausen Saddlery Company Building (a few steps from this marker); The Landing The Landing Retail District (within shouting distance of this marker); General William Tecumseh Sherman (within shouting distance of this marker); Law Offices of Sherman, Ewing, and McCook (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Great Railroad Era (about 300 feet away); Manufacturing Metropolis of the Midwest (about 300 feet away); Riverfront Community Center (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leavenworth.
Also see . . .
1. 1918 Article on Kansas Banks and Banking. (Submitted on December 25, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Leavenworth County Historical Society. (Submitted on December 25, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 25, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 355 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 25, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.