Franklin, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Age of Gasoline
"Camp tugboats continued to pull barges of North Carolina logs upriver each week to Franklin [after 1928]. A bridge operator still controlled the draw at South Quay on the Blackwater River so the Union Camp tug could go downriver on Sunday to load its barges and come back to the mill the
Time Line Included:
1961 - Franklin is incorporated as a second class city. Commercial strip development west of downtown begins.
1963 - Franklin creates the Franklin Redevelopment and Housing Authority to build low-income housing and redevelop downtown.
1967 - Franklin builds a new high school.
1968 - Dr. A.B. Harrison, Franklin's first black public official since the 1870's is elected to the city council.
1970 - The Franklin schools are integrated in the fall.
1971 - Paul D. Camp Community College opens.
1976 - Dr. A.B. Harrison becomes mayor.
1985 - Franklin is designated on of Virginia's first five Main Street Cities.
1999 - International Paper buys Union Camp. The downtown is devastated by flooding from Hurricane Floyd.
Location. 36° 40.469′ N, 76° 55.175′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Virginia. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 258) near South Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin VA 23851, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Recovery and Progress (here, next to this marker); "Can't Is Not in the Camp's Vocabulary" War Comes to the Blackwater (here, next to this marker); The Age of Steam (here, next to this marker); The Barretts: A Franklin Pioneer Family (here, next to this marker); Confederate Commissary Center (a few steps from this marker); The Blackwater Line (a few steps from this marker); Battle of Franklin (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 28, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 552 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on December 29, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.