Navy Yard in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Navy Department Library
“… of all the best writing in Dutch, Spanish, French, and especially in English upon the theory and practice of naval architecture, navigation, gunnery, hydraulics, hydrostatics, and all branches of mathematics subservient to the profession of the sea. The lives of all the admirals: English, French, Dutch, or any other nation, who have distinguished themselves by the boldness and success of their navigation, or their gallantry and skill in naval combats.”
In accordance with the President’s request, some 200 volumes were assembled in the next few years. From this modest beginning, through the vision of a long succession of dedicated librarians and generous benefactors, the library has developed one of the world’s richest and most comprehensive collections of naval and maritime literature.
Erected 1982 by U.S. Navy.
Location. 38° 52.469′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 805 Kidder Breese Street Southeast, Washington DC 20003, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Naval Historical Foundation (a few steps from this marker); Dudley Knox Center for Naval History (within shouting distance of this marker); The Center for Naval History - The Navy Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Leutze Park - Marine Corps Historical Center (within shouting distance of this marker); Optical Tower - Second Officers House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Leutze Park Gun Collection (about 400 feet away); Marine Railway - Experimental Model Basin (about 400 feet away); Site of U. S. Experimental Model Basin 1898 - 1955 (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Navy Yard.
Additional keywords. Naval Science; Navy Historical Center; Building 44
Categories. • Education • Military • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 15, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 29, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 361 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 29, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.