Plant City in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Plant City Union Depot
placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
(Marker Number 75000558.)
Location. 28° 0.938′ N, 82° 7.31′ W. Marker is in Plant City, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker can be reached from North Palmer Street near East North Drane Street, on the right when traveling north. The marker is mounted just outside the entrance to the depot building, which is now the Plant City Historic Downtown Welcome Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 102 North Palmer Street, Plant City FL 33563, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of Plant City (a few steps from this marker); Plant City High School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cow Cavalry (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Methodist Episcopal Church South (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bing Rooming House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bealsville Glover School (approx. 5.7 miles away); 320th Bombardment Group (M) (approx. 6.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plant City.
Regarding Plant City Union Depot. Plant City (named for railroad magnate Henry B. Plant) grew up around the crossing of two significant Florida rail lines, commonly known as the "A-Line" and the "S-Line". What would become the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad's A-Line was built in 1884 by Plant's South Florida Railroad. The crossing came in 1890, when the Florida Central and Peninsular Railroad built the future Seaboard Air Line Railroad's S-Line.
The Plant City Union Depot was built at the site of this rail junction in 1908-09. As its "Union" name indicates, the station was built and shared by competing rail companies, the Atlantic Coast Line and Seaboard Air Line. A true union came in 1967 when the two merged to form the Seaboard Coast Line Railroad. Plant City Union Depot continued to service passenger and freight trains until 1971. Today, it houses the Plant City Historic Downtown Welcome Center, which includes a small railroad museum.
The red brick depot sits along the northwest corner of the intersecting tracks, and consists
Plant City Union Depot was designed in the Eclectic style by architect Joseph F. Leitner. Leitner was a popular designer of railroad facilities including other Union Stations, like the one in nearby Tampa and in Goldsboro, North Carolina. Both stations are also listed with the National Register of Historic Places.
Also see . . . Video: Plant City, Florida Railfanning. YouTube footage of Union Depot and Plant City trains from Danny Harmon of Distant Signal Productions (Submitted on January 15, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
More. Search the internet for Plant City Union Depot.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 15, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 744 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on January 15, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.