Lavaca was the first Calhoun County seat from 1846 to 1852, when Indianola assumed the role. The county seat was returned to Lavaca briefly during the Civil War, when the town withstood fire from Federal gunboats, then returned to Indianola. In 1886 Indianola was ravaged by a hurricane and Lavaca was again county seat.
With railroad expansion in Texas, Lavaca moved away from cattle and turned to seafood. Called Port Lavaca from the late 1880s, the village boomed. Tourism and the population increased; several factories were opened; the town became a general law city in 1909. The Gulf Intracoastal Waterway was connected to Port Lavaca in 1913 and a seawall was completed in 1920. Shrimp and frozen seafood became major items for export. Natural gas and oil were discovered in 1934 and 1935. From the late 1940s major manufacturing began to contribute to Port Lavaca' s growth. Port Lavaca became a home rule chartered city in 1956, and a deep water port was located here in 1965. Port Lavaca celebrated 150 years of rich history in 1990.
(1998) Incise on base: Erected by Calhoun County Historical Commission; George Fred Rhodes, Chairman
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commisson. (Marker Number 1279.)
Location. 28° 38.228′ N, 96° 37.057′ W. Marker is in Port Lavaca, Texas, in Calhoun County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 35 and State Highway 238, on the right when traveling east on State Highway 35. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Lavaca TX 77979, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Halfmoon Reef Lighthouse (here, next to this marker); Site of the Town of Linnville (approx. 2.2 miles away); Mrs. Angelina Bell Peyton Eberly (approx. 9.4 miles away); Indianola (approx. 10 miles away); Rene Robert Cavelier Sieur de la Salle (approx. 10.1 miles away); Green Lake (approx. 13.2 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 2, 2012, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. This page has been viewed 419 times since then and 65 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on March 2, 2012, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.