Niagara Falls in Niagara County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
before white men settled in
America. Highway for French
fur trade. Later improved by
British as Military Road.
Erected 1836 by State Education Department.
Location. 43° 4.98′ N, 79° 2.459′ W. Marker is in Niagara Falls, New York, in Niagara County. Marker is on Buffalo Avenue west of Portage Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. This historic marker is located near the south end of Portage Road, near the northwest corner of the intersection of Portage Road and Buffalo Avenue. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1898 Buffalo Avenue, Niagara Falls NY 14303, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Falls Portage (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Niagara River Portage and the Old Stone Chimney (approx. 0.4 miles away); Thomas V. Welch (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Stone Chimney (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Blockhouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Portage Road (approx. 0.8 miles away); Whitney Mansion (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Parting of the Waters (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Niagara Falls.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 434 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 13, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.