Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
In the days before automobiles, armies moved by horse and mule power. Fort Hancock stabled its army mules in this building. The teamsters, or mule skinners who drove the mule teams, lived in the house next door. In later years, the barn was converted to a barracks and after that, a service club.
Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 14.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Fort Hancock Walking Tour marker series.
Location. 40° 27.905′ N, 74° 0.317′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is at the intersection of Kearney Road and South Bragg Road, on the left when traveling north on Kearney Road. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fire House Number 1 (a few steps from this marker); Rodman Gun (within shouting distance of this marker); Post Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Baked Fresh Daily! Officers Row (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Post Theater (about 300 feet away); Protecting American Coasts (about 400 feet away); 200 Years of Service (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a photo from 1910 of mounted soldiers in front of the Mule Barn, which was built in 1899. A 1901 photo taken inside the Mule Barn appears at the lower left of the marker.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 335 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.