Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Weddings, christenings, funerals, and services of all faiths took place here in Fort Hancock’s chapel. It is one of the few surviving buildings from the pre-World War II mobilization period of 1940-41.
First Sergeant Lawrence Markle, 7th Coast Artillery Regiment, and Private 1st Class Margaret Bechill, Fort Hancock’s Women’s Army Corps detachment, were married here on October 8, 1943.
Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 24.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Fort Hancock Walking Tour marker series.
Location. 40° 27.88′ N, 74° 0.338′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is at the intersection of Kessler Road and South Bragg Road, on the left when traveling north on Kessler Road. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Officers Row (within shouting distance of this marker); Post Theater (within shouting distance of this marker); Fire House Number 1 Mule Barn (within shouting distance of this marker); Rodman Gun (within shouting distance of this marker); Baked Fresh Daily! (within shouting distance of this marker); Protecting American Coasts (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 200 Years of Service (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a photo from 1944 of the Post Chapel, which was built in 1941. On the right side of the marker is a photo of First Sergeant Markle and PFC Margaret Bechill on their wedding day.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 326 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.