Andrews in Georgetown County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Dissenter Meeting House and Cemetery
This is the site of a "Dissenter" meeting house, built ca. 1726 by one of the first Baptist congregations in S.C. outside of Charleston. It was founded by Rev. Elisha Screven (d. 1754). The elder Screven had founded a Baptist congregation in Charleston as early as 1696.
Presbyterians and other "Dissenters" who did not belong to the Anglican church were also allowed to hold services here. Presbyterians soon outnumbered the rest. By 1742 they built a new church 7 mi. N and named it Black Mingo Presbyterian Church. The historic cemetery here has lost most of its gravestones.
Erected 2012 by The First Baptist Church of Georgetown. (Marker Number 22-59.)
Location. 33° 28.875′ N, 79° 26.904′ W. Marker is in Andrews, South Carolina, in Georgetown County. Marker is on Pump House Landing Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is located by the Black River. Marker is in this post office area: Andrews SC 29510, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Prince George Winyah Parish / Prince Frederick’s Parish (approx. 5 miles away); Early Settlers / Potatoe Ferry (approx. Georgetown County National Guard Memorial (approx. 7.2 miles away); Skirmish at Sampit Bridge (approx. 8.1 miles away); Sampit Methodist Church (approx. 8.1 miles away); Black Mingo Presbyterian Meeting House (approx. 8.4 miles away); Black Mingo – Willtown / Black Mingo Baptist Church (approx. 9.4 miles away); Mt. Zion A.M.E. Church (approx. 9.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Andrews.
Also see . . . Video of Dedication - - "FBC Historical Marker April 28, 2012" ::. (Submitted on May 11, 2012, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 29, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 718 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 29, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.