New Cavalry Barracks
The first occupants of the barracks were the soldiers of “F” Troop, 5th U.S. Cavalry. In 1941 the 5th Cavalry left the post and the barracks were used by the 112th Cavalry of the Texas National Guard. The Buffalo Soldiers of the 9th Cavalry, African American troops, moved
The two-story rectangular plan barracks is built atop a raised concrete basement. Load-bearing walls are of limestone webwall construction, with cast stone window sills and steel lintels. The main elevation is divided into fifteen bays by square wooden columns, with a cross-braced railing along the second-story porch.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2009
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15811.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Buffalo Soldiers marker series.
Location. 29° 18.334′ N, 100° 25.146′ W. Marker is near Brackettville, Texas, in Kinney County. Marker is at the intersection of McClernand Road and Baylor Street, on the right when traveling west on McClernand Road. Marker is located on Fort Clark Springs in the Fort Clark National Register Historic District and is accessible to the public. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 123 McClernand Road, Brackettville TX 78832, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Clark Guardhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Palisado Building Kitchen / Mess Room
Regarding New Cavalry Barracks. The New Cavalry Barracks on Fort Clark is a classic and enduring example of army architecture from the late 1930’s with perhaps a one of a kind design to suit the specific location of the building. Today, although the building is not in use, it is being sensibly maintained by the Fort Clark Springs Association until an appropriate adaptive reuse of the building can be undertaken. Of the four two story cavalry barracks remaining in the Fort Clark Historic District two have experienced irreversible unsympathetic modifications to create motel units and a third is not in a good state of repair. Only this barracks, “Seminole Hall,” stands alone as essentially
The New Cavalry Barracks is the finest example of 20th century soldier housing in the Fort Clark Historic District. This building may well be one of only a handful of pre-World War II stone barracks left on any army post in the nation and perhaps the sole remaining example of this type of military architecture in Texas.
Categories. • African Americans • War, World II •
More. Search the internet for New Cavalry Barracks.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 11, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 3, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 704 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 3, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.