Near Brackettville in Kinney County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Officers' Row Quarters
Designed and constructed in 1873-74 as duplexes to accommodate two officers' families each, these eight residences closely resemble those built on other military posts during that time period. The buildings reflect an evolutionary adaptation of military design suited to local construction materials and the regional climate. Each duplex has three large rooms on each floor, two fireplaces and a fifty-five foot front porch. An 1885 remodeling project changed the houses from rectangular to T-plan. The Army contracted with Central Power and Light Company for electricity in 1918.
Fort Clark was deactivated in 1946 and sold to the Brown and Root Corporation. In 1971, the fort property became “Fort Clark Springs”, a private recreational community. The officers' houses were rented to members and guests until 1974, when they were offered for sale to members of the Fort Clark Springs
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3678.)
Location. 29° 18.358′ N, 100° 25.326′ W. Marker is near Brackettville, Texas, in Kinney County. Marker is on Colony Row south of Patton Drive, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located on Fort Clark Springs in the Fort National Register Historic District and is accessible to the public. All properties recognized by the marker are now private residences. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brackettville TX 78832, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Married Officers' Quarters 8-9 (a few steps from this marker); Officers Quarters 2-3 and 4 (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Clark Post Theater (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Adjutant's Quarters (Quarters #20) (about 600 feet away); 1873 Infantry Barracks (about 600 feet away); U.S. Army Unit Memorial (about 600 feet away); Seminole-Negro Indian Scout Detachment (about 600 feet away); 2nd Cavalry Division at Fort Clark (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brackettville.
More about this marker. The marker is placed at the first of eight sets of quarters and is the only RTHL marker in Texas which recognizes multiple buildings, the first RTHL District in Texas.
Regarding Officers' Row Quarters. Eight sets of quarters for company grade officers
The National Register narrative of the Fort Clark Historic District observes, “Although construction of the fort spanned a period of approximately sixty years, the structures comprising the main body of the complex are integrally related to one another and the parade ground, and appear as components of a whole rather than individuals. While designs vary, characteristics common to all contribute significantly to the cohesion of the group. Solidly massed in simple geometric configuration the one and two-story buildings are constructed of native limestone obtained from fort property. They are sturdily built for function and endurance with a minimum of applied decorative.”
In the early 1870's Fort Clark rapidly expanded to accommodate and support the regimental size garrison needed to deal effectively with the increasing number of Indian depredations along
Stone is the predominant construction material used within the Fort Clark Historic District and the Officers’ Row Quarters are a solid case in point. When these quarters were built stone was used in load bearing masonry walls and pier and beam foundations. The stone for the 1886 additions was taken from a local quarry which still remains. It was most often laid up as coursed rubble and the surfacing was usually common faced. Decorative
Fort Clark quietly and unceremoniously slipped into history and out of active service on August 28, 1944, when the last soldiers departed. The Corps of Engineers served as caretakers until the venerable post was declared surplus and sold for salvage to the Texas Railway Equipment Company in October of 1946. The new owners tore down the wood frame World War II buildings (nearly 1500). However, through considerable foresight, the historic 19th and early 20th century structures and stone buildings were spared the wrecking ball. The Brown Foundation operated the fort as a guest ranch until 1971 when the property was sold to a private developer who created a gated community and homeowners association, which operates today as the Fort Clark Springs Association.
Also see . . . Friends of the Fort Clark Historic District. Guided tours, presentations and programs, genealogical and archival research assistance ... and much more. (Submitted on August 13, 2013, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Officers' Row Quarters.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 17, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 554 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 17, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. 6. submitted on November 12, 2013, by Wallace L. Morgan of Nixon, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.