Panhandle in Carson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
A pioneer county in oil and gas development.
Panhandle, county seat, promised main lines of 3 railroads, was by-passed for Amarillo, yet became one of the 4 historic towns in Texas Panhandle.
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 736.)
Location. 35° 20.736′ N, 101° 22.863′ W. Marker is in Panhandle, Texas, in Carson County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and East 5th Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the northwest corner. Marker is in this post office area: Panhandle TX 79068, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Texas Panhandle Pioneers: The Simms Brothers (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Temple Lea Houston (about 300 feet away); Pioneer Dugout (about 300 feet away); The Square House (about 300 feet away); Eclipse Windmill Patented 1867 (about 300 feet away); Finch-Lord-Nelson and the Founding of Panhandle City Last Great Panhandle Cattle Drive to Montana (about 400 feet away); Conway Community Church (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Panhandle.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 1, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 383 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 1, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.