Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
East Falls Church
In 1859, the Alexandria, Loudoun, and Hampshire Railroad (later owned by the Washington and Old Dominion Railroad) completed the line from Alexandria to Leesburg with a station on the western edge of Falls Church. In the 1870s, the Washington and Ohio Railroad, the subsequent owners, constructed the East Falls Church station. The railroad provided access to the District of Columbia while insulating the community from the urban lower classes who could not afford the cost of commuting. One upper class residence, the Eastman-Fenwick
East Falls Church experienced another burst of development with the arrival of the Washington, Arlington, and Falls Church electric streetcar offering service from East Falls Church to Rosslyn in 1896. Within ten years, the streetcar offered a cheap, nine-mile route to the District of Columbia, and combined with low land and house prices, transformed the area into a bedroom commuter community. As a result, Isaac Crossman estate and other surrounding farmlands were subdivided into residential developments featuring frame houses. East Falls Church also developed into a vibrant commercial center offering a wide range of shops and services, including a post office, bank, lumber yards, hardware store, livery stable, pharmacy, grocery store, and restaurants.
In the 1930s, citizens of East Falls Church petitioned the courts for exclusion from the corporate limits of Falls Church and to be considered only a part of Arlington County. Falls Church officials protested, claiming the town would lose sixty percent of its business district, thirty percent of its land, and twenty percent of its population. In 1936, the Virginia Supreme Court ruled in favor of the citizens of East Falls Church, and the resultant separation created a new sense of eastward expansion towards Arlington. An influx of federal
A dramatic change to East Falls Church occurred in the 1970s and the 1980s. In order to support an expanding population and encourage a new commuter population in Northern Virginia, the historic business district of East Falls Church was leveled to make way for Interstate 66, though a small automotive and industrial area remained on either side of Lee Highway.
For additional information, visit the Arlington-East Falls Church Civic Association's website.
Erected by Arlington, Virginia.
Location. 38° 53.212′ N, 77° 9.661′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is at the intersection of Fairfax Drive (County Route 237) and Lee Highway (U.S. 29), on the right when traveling north on Fairfax Drive. Located beside the Washington & Old Dominion Railroad Trail. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2121 North Westmoreland Street, Arlington VA 22205, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. East Falls Church Station (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Presidential Visit to Falls Church, 1911 (approx. ¼ mile away); Pearson's Funeral Home (approx. Original Federal Boundary Stone, District of Columbia, Southwest 9 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Crossman House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Brandymore Castle (approx. half a mile away); City of Falls Church Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
Also see . . . Arlington-East Falls Church Civic Assocition. (Submitted on June 3, 2012, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Political Subdivisions • Railroads & Streetcars •
More. Search the internet for East Falls Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 28, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 3, 2012, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 683 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 3, 2012, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.