El Dorado in Butler County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Steel Oil Derrick / 1930's Cable-Tool Drilling Rig
This derrick is one of the last wood and steel oil derricks which once dotted the Butler County countryside. It was built in the mid-1940's and is 100 feet high.
Donated by: Larry Crawford
Donors: Joe Degan Pipe & Supply, Albert Hogoboom, William Rex, James Owens, William W. Ranck, Museum Volunteers
Erected by Kansas Oil Museum.
Location. 37° 49.008′ N, 96° 50.7′ W. Marker is in El Dorado, Kansas, in Butler County. Touch for map. Marker is in the fenced outdoor Kansas Oil Museum exhibit area of the Butler County History Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 383 East Central Avenue (U.S. 54), El Dorado KS 67042, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tool Rack (here, next to this marker); Pole Trailer (a few steps from this marker); Model K Star Spudder (a few steps from this marker); Oil Field Lease House (a few steps from this marker); Cable Tool Drilling Rig Kansas Oil Museum (a few steps from this marker); Mrs. Addie Cowley Bradley (within shouting distance of this marker); Star Drilling Machine (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in El Dorado.
Categories. • Exploration • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 6, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 732 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 6, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.