Lexington Park in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Architectural Signiﬁcance of the First Lexington Park Community
The U.S. Navy developed Lexington Park to house the civilian workers who streamed into the area following the establishment of the Patuxent River Naval Air Station. Named for the storied carrier Lexington, it was the first planned community in St. Mary’s County. Unlike any houses built here earlier, the concrete and brick duplexes with their slanted roofs and tall banks of windows were decidedly modern looking. The northern portion of the development, completed in 1943, was designed by the nationally recognized firm Kahn and Jacobs. Washington, DC architect Louis Justement designed the houses in the southern portion, which were completed in 1944 along with a small commercial and community center. This remaining house is a rare survivor of innovative civilian housing constructed during the World War II era.
Logos of: Navmar Applied Sciences Corporation and St. Mary’s County Maryland, 1637
Nicknamed the “Flat Tops,” this single survivor from the original mid-1940s Lexington Manor developed features the side addition added to many of these homes during the 1960s.
Navmar Applied Science Corporation;
The St. Mary’s County Board of County Commissioners;
And the Friends of the St. Clement’s Island and Piney Point Museums
Erected by Navmar Applied Science Corporation & St. Mary’s County Board of County Commissioners.
Location. 38° 15.688′ N, 76° 26.899′ W. Marker is in Lexington Park, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker is on Rennell Avenue, W west of S. Coral Place, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is on the lawn, west of Coral Place, just outside the northeast corner of the John G. Lancaster Park which is accessible east of Willow Road. Marker is in this post office area: Lexington Park MD 20653, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Mary’s County and U.S. Navy History (here, next to this marker); United States Colored Troops (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Saint Nicholas Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Welcome to the African American Monument of St. Mary's County (approx. 0.3 miles away); The African American Monument In Elmer Brown Freedom Park Sikorsky CH-53A Sea Stallion (approx. 1.2 miles away); The F9F-8B “Cougar” (approx. 1.2 miles away); Grumman A-6 Intruder (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington Park.
Additional keywords. community development
Categories. • Government • Notable Buildings • War, World II •
More. Search the internet for Architectural Significance of the First Lexington Park Community.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 23, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 388 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 21, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 23, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 5. submitted on January 21, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.