Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Buffalo in Erie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Pan-American Exposition

Historic New York

 
 
The Pan-American Exposition Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, June 26, 2011
1. The Pan-American Exposition Marker
Inscription. Extending one mile north from Delaware Park Lake, between Elmwood and Delaware Avenues, the Pan-American Exposition was a spectacular sight to over eight million visitors from May 1 to November 2, 1901. Ornate buildings, embellished with decorated arches and topped with domes and towers, were colored in vivid hues. Electric lights outlined these structures and the central feature, the nearly 400-foot-high Electric Tower, to give a dazzling impression at night. The exposition grounds were laid out with courts, pools, fountains, colonnades, statuary and a “Grand Canal.” Planned to demonstrate the importance of commerce among the nations of the Western Hemisphere, the exposition included industrial, agricultural and cultural displays from the United States and foreign countries.
The only permanent structure, the white marble New York State building, designed by George Cary, resembled a classic Greek template. Later enlarged by the City of Buffalo, it houses the Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society, organized in 1862.
On September 6th, while receiving visitors at the Temple of Music, President William McKinley was shot; he died eight days later. Theodore Roosevelt then took the oath of office as President of the United States in the Wilcox House, 641 Delaware Avenue.
 
Erected
Wide view of The Pan-American Exposition Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, June 26, 2011
2. Wide view of The Pan-American Exposition Marker
1967 by New York State Education Department.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Historic New York marker series.
 
Location. 42° 56.1′ N, 78° 52.613′ W. Marker is in Buffalo, New York, in Erie County. Marker can be reached from Nottingham Terrace east of Elmwood Avenue. Touch for map. The marker is located at the south end of parking lot of the Buffalo & Erie County Historical Society. Marker is at or near this postal address: 25 Nottingham Court, Buffalo NY 14216, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Highlights of Buffalo History (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Scajaquada Creek (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); To Commemorate the Gallantry of (about 300 feet away); The Japanese Garden on Mirror Lake (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Pan-American Exposition (approx. 0.2 miles away); Buffalo's Olmsted Parks (approx. 0.2 miles away); President McKinley (approx. 0.3 miles away); Frederick Law Olmsted (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Buffalo.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Pan-American Exposition. (Submitted on July 2, 2012, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
2. Pan American Exposition 1901 Buffalo. The
Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society (1901) image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, June 26, 2011
3. Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society (1901)
Overlooking Delaware Park Lake, the National Register of Historic Places-listed and National Historic Landmark opened as the New York State building for the Pan-American Exposition.
Pan American Exposition from the point of view of those visiting it. Includes a self-guided virtual tour.
(Submitted on July 2, 2012, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.) 

3. Illuminations: Revisiting the Buffalo Pan-American Exposition of 1901 - University at Buffalo Lib. (Submitted on July 2, 2012, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
 
Categories. AgricultureIndustry & CommerceMan-Made Features
 
The site of the President McKinley assassination image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, June 26, 2011
4. The site of the President McKinley assassination
The marker, identifies the location of the Temple of Music, now in the median of a quiet street in the Lincoln Park neighborhood.
The Wilcox Mansion (1840) image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, June 26, 2011
5. The Wilcox Mansion (1840)
The marker stands in front of the Wilcox Mansion (1840), which is now operated by the National Park Service as the Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural Site.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 2, 2012, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 648 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 2, 2012, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.   4, 5. submitted on June 28, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement