Kingston in Ulster County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
“The Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of the Town of Kingston in Ulster County”
John Cantine Farrell Hoes † D. D. 1845 – 1867
to whose memory and that of his wife
Lucy Maria Randall of Cortland New York
this tablet as a record of the church and their association
with it is lovingly inscribed and presented by their
Mary S. Hoes Burhans † Easter-Day 1900
[ Lower Marker : ]
First Reformed Protestant
Dutch Church of Kingston
has been designated a
National Historic Landmark
This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America
Dedicated in 1852, this church is an outstanding expression of mid-19th century architectural eclecticism by American architect Minard Lafever. It is one of the most intact and fully developed examples of Lafeverís renaissance revival work, a style he helped pioneer in America.
National Park Service
United States Department of the Interior
Location. 41° 55.963′ N, 74° 1.134′ W. Marker is in Kingston, New York, in Ulster County. Marker is on Main Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kingston NY 12401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. George Washington (a few steps from this marker); George Clinton (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named George Clinton (a few steps from this marker); Patriots of the Revolution (within shouting distance of this Old Dutch Church (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Old Dutch Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Van Leuven Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); One Hundred and Twentieth Infantry New York Volunteers (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingston.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 16, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 344 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 16, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.