Ellis in Ellis County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The Hickey Building
Owned by Patrick Hickey, the first Hickey Building was a collection of wooden structures that served as the M.M. Fuller law office, the printshop for the Ellis Headlight newspaper, Ramsey's Barber Shop and the A.J. Cromb Candy & Notions store. During the 1890's, the original wood structure burned and was replaced with a two-story limestone building.
In 1904 the building continued to house doctors and dentists along with a gambling den and pool hall, reputed to attract gamblers who sought to separate the town's workmen from their money. In addition, it became home to a general store, roller rink, fraternal lodges, sleeping quarters, private clubs, the VFW Hall, and a dance hall.
Eventually, the building's checkered history would come to an end when considerable damage from the 1957 flood resulted in the State Fire Marshal condemning it. To add insult to injury, prior to the building's demolition, it was damaged further by fire on Thanksgiving Day in 1962.
In April of 1963 the Hickey building was torn down and the site has remained vacant since.
Location. 38° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ellis KS 67637, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Settlers from Bukovina, Austria (within shouting distance of this marker); The Ellis House (within shouting distance of this marker); Ellis' Original Main Street (within shouting distance of this marker); The Grand Army Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); War Memorial (about 300 feet away); Praying John Horrigan (about 400 feet away); History of The Walter P. Chrysler Boyhood Home (about 700 feet away).
Also see . . . Welcome to Ellis, Kansas. (Submitted on September 4, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for The Hickey Building.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 311 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 4, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.