Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mount Jackson in Shenandoah County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Mt. Jackson General Hospital, CSA

Shenandoah at War

 

—Valley Campaigns —

 
Mt Jackson General Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, August 8, 2012
1. Mt Jackson General Hospital Marker
Inscription. In September 1861, the Confederate Medical Department built a large general hospital on this site because Mt. Jackson was the western terminus of the Manassas Gap Railroad, which provided access to northern Virginia battlefields. Dr. Andrew Russell Meem, a Shenandoah County resident who was a graduate of Princeton University and the University of Pennsylvania medical College, was Surgeon-in-Charge. He resided at Harrison House, the home of local businessman Col. Levi Rinker, who owned the hospital site and a plot across the Valley Turnpike, “Our Soldiers’ Cemetery,” to bury those who died here.

The hospital consisted of three two-story buildings, each “a hundred and fifty feet in length, perfectly ventilated, and yet warm,” and several small support structures. Accommodating 500 sick and wounded Confederates at a time, it remained in continuous service until the end of hostilities, except for six months in 1862. Meem, two assistant surgeons (contract physicians), five stewards, ten nurses, eight cooks, and five laundresses comprised the staff. The buildings were dismantled after the war for the use of U.S. Army forces stationed at Rude’s Hill during Reconstruction.

In February 1865, after falling ill, Meem was admitted to Harrisonburg General Hospital where he died at age 41. His wife, Ann Jordan
Mt Jackson General Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, August 8, 2012
2. Mt Jackson General Hospital Marker
Meem, had assisted him at the Mt. Jackson hospital and in October 1861 organized the Ladies’ Soldiers Relief and Aid Association to provide clothing, food, and supplies. The Association held one of the earliest Confederate Memorial Day services at “Our Soldiers’ Cemetery” on May 15, 1866.
 
Erected by Virginia Civl War Trails.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
 
Location. 38° 45.294′ N, 78° 38.028′ W. Marker is in Mount Jackson, Virginia, in Shenandoah County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 11) and Nelson Street on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Jackson VA 22842, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Confederate Hospital (a few steps from this marker); Our Soldiers’ Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); To All Confederates (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Confederate Hospital (within shouting distance of this marker); Mount Jackson (approx. 0.6 miles away); Union Church - Circa 1825
Dr. Andrew R. Meem image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 12, 2014
3. Dr. Andrew R. Meem
Close-up of photo on marker
Collection of Farnham Denton Blair
(approx. 0.8 miles away); McNeill’s Last Charge (approx. 1.9 miles away); Meem's Bottom Covered Bridge (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Jackson.
 
Also see . . .  Old Marker at this Location. This marker replaced an older one at this location also titled “Mt. Jackson General Hospital, CSA” (Submitted on May 22, 2014.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Confederate Surgeon's kit used in the Shenandoah Valley image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 12, 2014
4. Confederate Surgeon's kit used in the Shenandoah Valley
Close-up of photo on marker
Virginia Military Institute
Mount Jackson General Hospital, October 7, 1864 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 12, 2014
5. Mount Jackson General Hospital, October 7, 1864
by James E. Taylor, artist for Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper
Close-up of image on marker
Richard Kleese
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 13, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 393 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 13, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234.   3, 4, 5. submitted on May 17, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement