St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Ponce de Leon Hotel
The magnificent structure was erected between 1885 and 1887 by Henry M. Flagler, the hotel and railroad magnate whose activities contributed greatly to the development of Florida's eastern coastal area. Designed by the New York architectural firm of Carrere and Hastings, the building reflects the Spanish Renaissance style throughout. The hotel was the first major edifice in the United States to be constructed of poured concrete, a mixture of cement, sand, and coquina shell. The interior is decorated with imported marble, carved oak, and murals painted by Tojetti and George W. Maynard. Its stained glass windows were created by Louis Comfort Tiffany of New York. The Ponce de Leon Hotel was the flagship of the Flagler hotel system which soon extended all along the east coast of Florida. Located in the "Winter Newport," this resort hotel entertained celebrities from around the world, including several U.S. Presidents. During World War II, the hotel served as a Coast Guard Training Center. In 1968, this historic landmark was converted into Flagler College, an accredited liberal arts institution. Independent and coeducational, the college serves students from across the nation.
Erected 1975 by St. Johns Society Historical Commission in cooperation with Department of State. (Marker Number F-240.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 29° 53.532′ N, 81° 18.882′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is at the intersection of King Street (State Road 214) and Granada Street on King Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 74 King St., Saint Augustine FL 32080, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Henry M. Flagler (here, next to this marker); Alcazar Hotel / City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Villa Zorayda (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Villa Zorayda (within shouting distance of this marker); The Alcazar Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Rosario Redoubt (within shouting distance of this marker); Tolomato Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Don Pedro Menéndez de Aviles (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Also see . . .
1. Official Website of Flagler College. The Ponce de Leon Hotel now serves as a residence hall and centerpiece for the college. A masterpiece of Spanish Renaissance architecture, Ponce de Leon Hall (Submitted on March 6, 2008, by David Anderson of Middletown, New Jersey.)
2. Wikipedia entry for the Ponce de Leon Hotel. (Submitted on March 6, 2008, by David Anderson of Middletown, New Jersey.)
3. Wikipedia entry for Henry Morrison Flagler. Besides building the Ponce de Leon Hotel, Henry Flagler founded what became the Florida East Coast Railway. (Submitted on March 6, 2008, by David Anderson of Middletown, New Jersey.)
4. Wikipedia entry for the Florida East Coast Railway. Henry M. Flagler began building the Ponce de León Hotel in 1885. (Submitted on March 6, 2008, by David Anderson of Middletown, New Jersey.)
1. National Historic Landmark
The U.S. National Park Service designated the Hotel Ponce de Leon a National Historic Landmark in 2006 (ref# 75002067). Additionally, the building itself is part of a National Historic Landmark District. The St. Augustine Town Plan Historic District (ref# 70000847) was so designated in 1970 and covers the city's original colonial boundaries along with the former hotel.
Additional keywords. St. Augustine Florida hotel founder Standard Oil John D. Rockefeller William Rockefeller Henry M. Flagler Stephen V. Harkness Monopoly investor east coast railway FEC rail Key West
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Education • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 14, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 5, 2008, by David Anderson of Middletown, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 3,235 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 1, 2008, by Tim Walleker of Webster, Florida. 2. submitted on March 5, 2008, by David Anderson of Middletown, New Jersey. 3. submitted on September 11, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4, 5. submitted on March 5, 2008, by David Anderson of Middletown, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.