Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Tate in Pickens County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Old Federal Road

 
 
Old Federal Road Marker Site image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, October 11, 2012
1. Old Federal Road Marker Site
Georgia Highway 53 is on the left, and Red Bird Way to the right. The marker stood on the far side of Red Bird Way, but no trace of the marker remains.
Inscription. The highway coming from the right is the Old Federal Road, northwest Georgia’s first vehicular way and the earliest postal route of this area. It began on the southeastern boundary of the Cherokees in the direction of Athens, linking Georgia and Tennessee across the Indian Country.

Rights to open the thoroughfare were granted informally by the Cherokees in 1803 and confirmed in the 1805 Treaty of Tellico, Tennessee.

“Daniels”, an early stand and stage stop on the old trace stood here.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 112-2.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 34° 24.867′ N, 84° 21.917′ W. Marker was near Tate, Georgia, in Pickens County. Marker was at the intersection of Georgia Route 53 and Red Bird Way, on the right when traveling east on State Route 53. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Tate GA 30177, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Georgia Marble Company and the Village of Tate (approx. 1.2 miles away);
Old Federal Road Marker Site image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, October 11, 2012
2. Old Federal Road Marker Site
Looking west from Red Bird Way on Georgia Highway 53 toward Tate.
a different marker also named Old Federal Road (approx. 3.7 miles away); a different marker also named Old Federal Road (approx. 5.3 miles away); Pickens County (approx. 5.3 miles away); Battle of Taliwa (approx. 5.3 miles away); Old Pickens County Jail (approx. 5.4 miles away); Oglethorpe Monument (approx. 5.4 miles away); Poole's Mill Covered Bridge (approx. 11.1 miles away).
 
More about this marker. The marker was observed standing in 1995.

The text for the missing marker was taken from Georgia Historical Markers (Bay Tree Grove, Second Edition 1978) compiled by Carroll P. Scruggs from the records of the Georgia Historical Commission.
 
Regarding Old Federal Road. Red Bird Way is the renamed Old Federal Road.
 
Categories. Native AmericansRoads & Vehicles
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 23, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 312 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 23, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of marker prior to going missing? • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement