Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Morgan's Point in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Col. James Morgan

 
 
Col. James Morgan Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, January 5, 2019
1. Col. James Morgan Marker
Inscription.  Although the original land grant went to Johnson Hunter in 1824 and the Point was owned by Nicholas Clopper from 1826 until 1835, it was James Morgan who gave the Point its name.

Morgan purchased 1600 acres from Nicholas Clopper in December of 1835 and began to lay out his proposed town of New Washington. He built his own home on the site that Clopper had named Orange Grove.

Although General Santa Anna burned the plantation on the day before the Battle of San Jacinto, it was immediately rebuilt. The town of New Washington never prospered, but James Morganís plantation became a popular stopping place for travelers. Among those stopping as Morganís home during their travels were the German naturalist Ferdinand Roemer, the Prince of Salms, famous wildlife artist James Audubon and wealthy English yachting enthusiasts Mr. and Mrs. Houstoun. Other frequent visitors were neighbors Sam Houston, David Burnet and Ashbel Smith.

James Morgan was influential in the early days of the Republic of Texas, was in charge of the defense of Galveston during the revolution and was involved in the sale of the Texas Navy after the war.

Morgan
Col. James Morgan Marker - previous version image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, February 28, 2008
2. Col. James Morgan Marker - previous version
died March 1, 1866 and is buried with his family in the old Orange Grove Cemetery now used by the city of Morganís Point.
 
Erected by City of Morgan's Point.
 
Location. 29° 40.308′ N, 95° 0.394′ W. Marker is in Morgan's Point, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and North Wilson Road, on the right when traveling west on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1415 East Main Street, La Porte TX 77571, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New Washington (a few steps from this marker); John A. Grimes Memorial Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Gribble-Hofheinz House (approx. half a mile away); Governor Ross Sterling Mansion (approx. 0.7 miles away); Bay Ridge / Morgan's Point (approx. 0.7 miles away); Wade and Mamie Irvin House (approx. ĺ mile away); Five Points - The Hub of the City (approx. 0.9 miles away); Morgan's Point Cemetery (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Morgan's Point.
 
Also see . . .
1. Col. James Morgan in The Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on November 3, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. The Town of Morgan's Point Website. (Submitted on November 3, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
 
Categories.
Col. James Morgan Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, January 5, 2019
3. Col. James Morgan Marker
The marker is on the front of the building below the City Hall sign
Settlements & SettlersWar, Texas Independence
 

More. Search the internet for Col. James Morgan.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 18, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 3, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 599 times since then and 51 times this year. Last updated on November 6, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. Photos:   1. submitted on January 5, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.   2. submitted on November 3, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.   3. submitted on January 5, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement