Evolutions of Strawberry Hill
United States Naval Academy
— National Historic Landmark —
The colonial house was gone when the Navy purchased the property, 67 acres, on July 15, 1868, and the adjoining 46 acres of Prospect Hill farm the following May as part of expansion efforts after the Civil War. A Naval Academy Cemetery was developed on the bluff closest to the creek, while the remaining property continued as a farm and orchard, providing fresh produce to the Midshipmen’s mess. The cemetery has become the final resting place of Navy, Marine Corps, and Army veterans from the War of 1812 to the present. This hallowed ground is the final resting place to over 6,000 men,
The U.S. Naval Academy Hospital was built on adjacent high ground in 1907-11. It was designed by the Beaux Arts architect Ernest Flagg (1857-1947), who also designed many of the buildings on the lower yard of the Academy.
The hospital was expanded with major additions in 1942 and 1958. The expansion was designed by architects William Karcher and Livingston Smith whose designs were a simple interpretation of the original Neo-classical style. The hospital function was discontinued in 1974, but the buildings continue to service the Academy and retired community with medical clinics and supporting offices.
In 1942, an adjacent greenhouse was built about 100 feet northwest of this plaza to supply cut flowers for the hospital, chapel and Superintendent’s quarters. Records from May 1955 show that the greenhouse was producing a supply of flowers and other plants that outnumbered many of the localnurseries within the Baltimore/Washington area. Over the years, the need for a functioning greenhouse decreased and it was demolished in 2009.
Location. 38° 59.274′ N, 76° 29.496′ W. Marker is in Annapolis, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is on Phythian Road. Marker is located on the grounds of the U.S. Naval Academy next to the cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Annapolis MD 21402, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jeannette Arctic Exploring Expedition (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Husband Edward Kimmel (about 500 feet away); Henry Hays Lockwood (about 500 feet away); Terwilliger Brothers Field (approx. ¼ mile away); The United States Naval Academy Bridge (approx. ¼ mile away); Max E Bishop (approx. ¼ mile away); Sons of the Revolution (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hammond-Harwood House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Annapolis.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Notable Places •
More. Search the internet for Evolutions of Strawberry Hill.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 7, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 381 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 7, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.