Near Port Lavaca in Calhoun County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Rene Robert Cavelier Sieur de la Salle
Born in Rouen France November 22, 1643. Came to Canada in 1668. Founded a first settlement near Montreal. Led several expeditions on the Great Lakes and the Ohio and Illinois rivers. Completed the exploration of the Mississippi, 1682. On July 24, 1684, La Salle sailed from France to establish a colony at the mouth of the Mississippi. Landed at Matagorda Bay February, 15, 1685. There established Fort St. Louis. While on his way to Canada he was murdered near the Trinity River March 19, 1687.
A gentleman but not a courtier, a proud independent yet timid nature, an explorer of bold vision and untiring energy.
La Salle's colony on Matagorda Bay gave the United Statues its first claim to Texas as a part of the Louisiana Purchase.
America owes him an enduring memory for in this masculine figure she sees the pioneer who guided her to the possession of her richest heritage.
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 4243.)
Location. 28° 31.641′ N, 96° 30.517′ W. Marker is near Port Lavaca, Texas, in Calhoun County. Marker is on State Highway 316 0.6 miles south of North Ocean Drive, on the left when traveling Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Lavaca TX 77979, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Indianola (within shouting distance of this marker); Mrs. Angelina Bell Peyton Eberly (approx. 0.7 miles away); Port Lavaca (approx. 10.1 miles away); Halfmoon Reef Lighthouse (approx. 10.1 miles away); Site of the Town of Linnville (approx. 12.1 miles away).
Categories. • Exploration •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 22, 2012, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 638 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 22, 2012, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.