Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
King of Prussia in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Log City

 
 
Log City Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, February 22, 2006
1. Log City Marker
Inscription. Following their arrival December 19, 1777, the men immediately set to work building huts for shelter. General orders the preceding day specified the size and design of the huts: 14 x 16 feet each, 6½ feet high, a door next to the street and a fireplace in the rear.

Despite the orders, hut size, location, and material varied – as these reconstructions demonstrate. Men from different regions were familiar with different building techniques, a few were skilled craftsmen. A surgeon’s mate wrote home, “have one Dull ax to build a Logg Hutt When it will be done knows not.”

“And as encouragement to industry and art, the General promises to reward the party in each regiment, which finishes their hut in the quickest, and most workmanlike manner, with twelve dollars.” - General Orders December 18, 1777
 
Erected by Valley Forge National Historical Park, National Park Service, Department of the Interior.
 
Location. 40° 5.84′ N, 75° 25.525′ W. Marker is in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Outer Line Drive, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: King of Prussia PA 19406, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least
Log City in Valley Forge image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, February 22, 2006
2. Log City in Valley Forge
8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Greene’s Division (a few steps from this marker); Winter Encampment (within shouting distance of this marker); Soldiers’ Huts (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Greene’s Division (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); DeKalb’s Division (approx. 0.4 miles away); DeKalb's Division (Learned's Brigade) (approx. half a mile away); Maine (approx. half a mile away); Patriots of African Descent (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in King of Prussia.
 
More about this marker. The marker features a picture of the Continental soldiers constructing the huts. A smaller picture on the bottom right of the marker has the caption “By mid-January most soldiers were housed, twelve to a hut.”
 
Also see . . .  Valley Forge. National Park Service site. Under the Photos and Multimedia navigation section are links to various video and audio podcasts about Valley Forge. (Submitted on March 12, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. War, US Revolutionary
 
Main Street of the Log City image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, February 22, 2006
3. Main Street of the Log City
Each hut had a doorway that opened on the main street.
Log Cabin with a bee hive oven in background image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, February 22, 2006
4. Log Cabin with a bee hive oven in background
Interior of Log Hut image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, February 22, 2006
5. Interior of Log Hut
Each hut at Valley Forge housed 12 men. They had four sets of bunks, three high, and a fireplace. The bunks closest to the fireplace were the most sought after.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 12, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,284 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 12, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement