Yorktown in York County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Cole Digges House, circa 1925
—Colonial National Historical Park —
Throughout its long history, the Cole Diggers House served many roles in the village of Yorktown. Originally used as a residence and warehouse, in later years was a teahouse/store and the First National Bank of Yorktown.
In 1921, Mrs. Helen Paul of Michigan bought the building and four years later began a major remodeling project transforming the 200-year old building into its current appearance by applying the Colonial Revival style made popular at Colonial Williamsburg and reflected in original and reconstructed buildings along Main Street, including Swan Tavern, the Medical Shop, and the Nelson House. Colonial Revival elements include red brick, side lights at doorways, paneled or louvered wood shutters, and multi-sash windows. John H. Scarff, the architect who developed the plans for the building, stated that the “intention of this restoration (is) to preserve the spirit of an early Eighteenth Century cottage in all details.”
There were major changes to the exterior and
In 1968, the National Park Service acquired the building. Plans to repair the failing building included retaining the slate roof. However, the slate roof was replaced with wood shingles in 1978. In 2011, a simulated slate roof replaced the wood shingles, allowing for a more durable material and an appearance that more closely resembles the building’s Colonial Revival restoration.
Cole Digges House after its remodeling, circa 1930
The Cole Digges House as it appeared in the 1890s when Elizabeth Cooper operated a restaurant or teashop and store
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 37° 14.103′ N, 76° 30.468′ W. Marker is in Yorktown, Virginia, in York County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Read Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cole Digges House, circa 1730 (here, next to this marker); Custom House, circa 1720 (a few steps from this marker); Early Colonial Custom House (a few steps from this marker); Charles Cox House (within shouting distance of this marker); Somerwell House (within shouting distance of this marker); East Along Main Street (within shouting distance of this marker); West Along Main Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Grace Church - circa 1697 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Yorktown.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 5, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 400 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 5, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.