Near Panaca in Lincoln County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Mrs. Earl Godbe, an 1890s resident of nearby mining camp called Bullionville, was one of the first visitors to appreciate the drama of this sculpted landscape. Eroded siltstone spires reminded her of European cathedrals, prompting her to suggest the name Cathedral Gulch (later amended to Cathedral Gorge). Over the years, these buff-colored cliffs have also provided residents with a unique backdrop for Biblical pageants and other open-air dramas.
In 1911, Nephi and Elbert Edwards, two teenage boys from Panaca, began exploring the nooks and crannies of Cathedral Gorge. They and their brothers built a series of ladders through cave-like crevices and crawlways. In the early 1920s, the Edwards families led the movement to preserve and protect the Gorge, which became a state park in 1935.
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built the
Erected by Cathedral Gorge State Park.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
Location. 37° 48.252′ N, 114° 24.422′ W. Marker is near Panaca, Nevada, in Lincoln County. Marker can be reached from Cathedral Gorge State Park Road 0.1 miles west of U.S. 93. Touch for map. Marker is located at the visitor center of Cathedral Gorge State Park. Marker is in this post office area: Panaca NV 89042, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bullionville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Clover Valley Mountains Steam Engine/Sawmill (approx. 1.3 miles away); Panaca Spring (approx. 1.3 miles away); Panaca Ward Chapel (approx. 1.4 miles away); Panaca (approx. 1.4 miles away); Panaca Mercantile Miller's Point / Cathedral Gorge (approx. 1.8 miles away); Wheeler Monument (approx. 8.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Panaca.
Categories. • Environment • Natural Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 23, 2012, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 336 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 23, 2012, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. 3. submitted on October 18, 2013, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 4. submitted on December 23, 2012, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. 5, 6. submitted on January 21, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area view of the markers and their surroundings. • Can you help?