Frankfort in Franklin County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Lewis and Clark in Kentucky / William Clark in Frankfort
Lewis and Clark in Kentucky
Lewis & Sheheke
Meriwether Lewis, coleader of the 1803-1806 Lewis and Clark Expedition, was in Frankfort from Nov. 13-15, 1806. Party included Mandan Chief Sheheke and family and delegation of Osage Indians. Group traveling to Washington to visit Pres. Thos. Jefferson. Over.
William Clark in Frankfort
William Clark, coleader of 1803-1806 Lewis & Clark Expedition, visited Frankfort many times. On Oct. 29, 1809, he confirmed the death of Mreiwether Lewis and discussed it with Christopher Greenup, Charles Scott, and others while passing through Frankfort on way to Washington.
Presented by the Ohio River Chapter-Lewis & Clark Trail Heritage Foundation, National Park Service, Ky. Lewis & Clark Bicentennial Commission, Capital City Museum.
Erected 2006 by Kentucky Historical Society, Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2212.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society, and the Lewis & Clark Expedition marker series.
Location. 38° 11.909′ N, 84° 52.553′ W. Marker is in Frankfort, Kentucky, in Franklin County. Marker is on Ann Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Frankfort KY 40601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Christian Church (a few steps from this marker); Hiram Lodge No. 4 F. & A.M. (within shouting distance of this marker); Capt. Daniel Weisiger III / Weisiger House (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Tunnel in Kentucky (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Frankfort Union Station (about 300 feet away); Paul Sawyier Boyhood Home (about 400 feet away); John Hampton House / Early Stone House (about 500 feet away); The Old Mansion (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Frankfort.
Categories. • Exploration • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 31, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 362 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 31, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.